Agents’ Assistant – Books Department
– Posted October 23rd 2020
We are currently recruiting a full-time assistant for one of our Agents; the position is as a Second Assistant to a Senior Agent who also works closely with an Associate Agent representing well established authors across a range of genres, including Philip Pullman, Graham Swift, JP Delaney and Quentin Blake. Duties will include providing general administrative support, processing contracts and raising invoices together with orchestrating the smooth running of the office.
The successful candidate will be involved in all areas of client management and either have high levels of drive/self-direction or have previous experience in a literary agency or in the wider publishing industry. A passion for literature is a must.
High levels of organisational, written and verbal skills are a necessity, together with a ‘can-do’ attitude, an eye for detail and experience of using MS Office.
• Providing full administrative support including but not limited to:
o Chasing and processing contracts
o Invoicing, tracking, and chasing payments
o Maintaining office systems, including data management and filing
o Diary management
• Liaising daily with publishers, authors, and with other departments and stakeholders.
• Reading manuscripts and providing editorial feedback.
• Independently managing audio rights
• Assisting with the management of a substantial backlist with a focus on tracking down and checking backlist rights.
• First port of call for appearance requests; managing permission requests and negotiating permission fees.
• Managing social media and blog posts and regularly updating the Agents section of the company website.
Qualities and Skills:
• A passion for organisation and excellent attention to detail.
• Trustworthy and accurate as will be dealing with highly confidential material.
• Outstanding communication skills.
• A positive, can-do attitude.
• A passion for books and author care.
Salary : £23,000 pa
We are committed to diverse, inclusive recruitment, regardless of disability, race, age, colour, national origin, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis.
Closing date : Sunday 1st November at 6pm.
If you think you could be the right candidate, please send your CV and covering email including your 4/5 favourite books and why to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly marked BOOKS in the subject header.