Agents’ assistant (full-time)
– Posted November 22nd 2023
Closing date: 1 December 2023
Salary: £29,250 per annum
Reports to: Emily Hickman & Simon Blakey
Start date: ASAP
If you have strong organisational, administrative experience and a passion for theatre, film, television and literature, carry on reading!
The Agency represents all manner of writers, directors & creatives working across film, television and theatre; from those at the peak of their careers to those at the very beginning. It also represents the dramatic rights in books. That range is reflected in the company too: the agents here are as varied in their taste as they are in age and experience.
Emily Hickman & Simon Blakey each represent lists of established and emerging writers, directors, creatives and rights holders working across theatre, film, and television.
As their assistant, you will be responsible for providing full-time administrative support to them and their clients.
This is a very busy role that includes setting/co-ordinating meetings, managing diaries, maintaining logs of everything that comes in and out of the office including submissions, invoicing and contracts in a detailed and pro-active manner, updating social media, liaising with producers and clients, and tracking contractual negotiations and payments.
• General PA duties: booking meetings and calls, answering phone calls, emails and arranging travel and accommodation
• Assisting with general administration
• Liaising with clients, setting up client meetings and calls, and sending/logging client writing samples/CVs
• Updating The Agency’s website, individual client biographies and CV’s for our website and providing content for The Agency’s twitter and Instagram feeds
• Helping with reviewing changes in drafts of contracts using Word comparison and tracked changes tools
• Dealing with the administration of client contracts: issuing/returning, sending out for signature, tracking, logging, scanning, and archiving contracts when fully executed
• Keeping all Agency accounting systems up to date in a detailed manner; includes entering client deals into our accounts systems, raising invoices for payments and chasing all client payments on the Agency system
• Collating and communicating relevant industry and client news, e.g. up and coming production news and reviews of client shows
• Keeping record of clients’ professional commitments
• Reading scripts, seeing shows and reporting back on them
• Training for the negotiation and administration of simple agreements for the agent’s clients (always under the supervision of a senior agent). Liaising closely with a senior agent to assist in the handling of more complex agreements
This job description is a guide to the nature of the work required by the agent’s assistant and the post holder may be required to undertake other duties appropriate to the nature of the post as agreed with the Company.
Knowledge, skills, experience
We welcome applications from candidates who demonstrate the following:
• Excellent organisational and administrative skills with exceptional attention to detail and ability to prioritise
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people in a professional context, and to build crucial connections with clients, colleagues, your line manager, and external contacts
• An ability to multitask under pressure
• Computer literacy, with accurate and fast typing speed
• Demonstrable passion for theatre, film, television and literature
• A desire/ability to evaluate scripts, novels and productions and to articulate your opinion
How to apply
Please click ‘Apply’ to email Simon Blakey with “Agents’ Assistant Application” in the subject line and include your CV and a covering letter.
Please include in the covering letter:
• If there are Agency clients you admire, or projects by Agency clients that you have enjoyed, and why
• Your enthusiasm for film, TV and/or theatre
• Why you want to work at The Agency
• What interests you about the work of a literary agency
• How your skills, experience or personality are well matched to it
We welcome and encourage applications from candidates who are under-represented in the creative industries.
We are committed to diverse, inclusive recruitment, regardless of disability, race, age, colour, national origin, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis.
Please let us know if you would like further information, support with access requirements or an informal chat to find out more about the role on 0207 467 0135.