How to Join the PMA
November 1st, 2023 – Membership applications for 2023 are now closed. They will open again at the end of January 2024. If you are interested in joining please take time to consider the criteria below. If have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEW APPLICATIONS – Please ensure you understand and fulfil all the application requirements listed in Steps below before registering your interest. Failure to comply with all criteria may result in your application being rejected, or will significantly delay your application. If you have any questions please email email@example.com before you register interest.
PENDING APPLICATIONS – Please bear with us, we are dealing with a high number of applications and it is taking longer than we would like to process them all. If you have any queries in the meantime please email firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW TO APPLY.
STEP ONE – Register your interest online (CURRENTLY CLOSED).
Membership Criteria: You must be nominated by two PMA members. You must have a minimum of two years of experience. You will be asked to:
- Provide the names and email addresses of two PMA members willing to nominate your application;
- Evidence that your agency has a minimum of two years of experience. Or, if your agency is new, that you have two years of experience as an agent elsewhere.
When applications open again in 2024 you will be able to ‘Register Your Interest” via a link at the end of this page. You will be asked to fill in a short form asking for basic contact information for you, and your referees, and a little information about your agency.
STEP TWO – Provide evidence of good practice.
Membership Criteria: Your terms of business must be in line with the PMA Approved Code of Practice (ACOP). You must hold a separate bank account for client monies.
After registering you will receive an email requesting a copy of your Terms of Business (sometimes called “agency agreement”); and evidence that you hold a separate bank account for client monies.
If there is a disparity between your TOBs and the PMA ACOP this will affect your application. Please consider the following:
- Are your operating practices in line with either the Conduct of Employment Agencies & Employment Business Regulations 2003 (Artists Agencies); and good agent practice as outlined in the PMA Approved Code of Practice (for either Artists’, or Dramatists’, Directors’ and Creatives’ Agencies)?
- Does your agency provide its clients with a GDPR Privacy Notice document?
- Do you operate a “notice period” in relation to termination of representation between the agency and its clients? Time restrictions, or notice periods, are not considered to be in the best interest of the client and therefore, should not be operated by PMA member agencies.
STEP THREE – Welcome to the PMA
Assuming the criteria above are met, we will be in contact about how to begin and make the best use of your PMA membership.
Timeframe: We aim to process each application in around eight weeks (assuming all criteria are met). Step 2 is often the point where applications falter or fail, so please do check the criteria before you send your Terms of Business.
Current Membership Fees (2023): Agencies with less than 5 employees: £ 450 + vat; Agencies with 5-15 employees: £ 550 + vat; Agencies with 16 plus employees: £1000 + vat. Membership runs from January to December. And can be paid monthly, quarterly, or in a single instalment.
If you have any questions about membership at any stage please email email@example.com.